My Homeschooling Journal


Sunday, October 2, 2011

History Timeline

This is my son's timeline. He, age 9,  and I have been working on it for about 3 years now. It is a visual of what we have been learning about in history. I use images printed from the internet, or from History Through the Ages, Historical Timeline Figures. Since we don't have a school room, it hangs in a small hallway between the kitchen and bathroom.

Once we get done with the first term of Ambleside Online Year 6. I plan on starting a Book of Centuries instead of a timeline for going through history the second time around.

My youngest two have not started a study of history yet. I'll have to find more wall space when they are ready. My older two daughters, one in college and one a senior, also had a wall timeline when they were younger.

I found a great article which I can't find anymore, with a link to photographs of an actual Book of Centuries used in a PNEU school. I was struck by it's simplicity. I will try to describe it:

Basically, it was a composition style notebook, with the left side ligned and the right side blank. The top of the right page would be labeled with the century. They would then number the right side from bottom to top by 5's, so that each line equalled 5 years.  The right side would be used for recording important names or events.  The left side would be used for careful line drawings of artifacts from that time period.

I think this would work well for an older student, because in order for it to be effective, it would have to be kept very neatly. The student would then have an uncluttered one page visual of what a century looked like in both words, and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment